In the 17th episode of the TECHunplugged Podcast we’re joined by Boyan Ivanov, co-founder of StorPool Storage. Podcast co-hosts Max Mortillaro (@darkkavenger) and Arjan Timmerman (@Arjantim) talk with Boyan about the Storpool product offering, how the product has evolved, why customers are choosing for the Storpool product and what can we expect from Storpool in the future.
- 00:00 Max: Introduction
- 00:40 Boyan: What and who is Storpool and what do they do?
- 02:32 Arjan: What is the Storpool journey?
- 03:08 Boyan: The history and a little future of Storpool
- 04:25 Max: What is the primary driver of Storpool clients to choose them?
- 04:50 Boyan: Storpool wants to be the best at block based storage and delivers on this
- 6:34 Max: Could you tell a bit more on the Architecture of your product?
- 6:47 Boyan: Started coding at the age of ten and does a bit deeper dive into the architecture
- 8:48 Arjan: Not being a Silicon Valley company, how do you compete (or not) with them?
- 9:38 Max: Another question on that, is the Storpool customer base European or Global?
- 9:54 Boyan: Answer both questions on competing against Silicon Valley companies and being a global company
- 12:08 Max: So Storpool being funded in much different way doesn’t feel the VC pressure as much?
- 12:41 Boyan: Correct. Having a business that is resilient and self-funded is a much better sustainable way to grow a company
- 14:04 Arjan: What is a feature your customer base is requesting at the moment?
- 14:42 Boyan: Software approach first (SDS) and Backup and Recovery second (and everything in between)
- 16:49 Arjan: Is that than something you’re building into the platform, or do you have partners helping you provide certain solutions?
- 17:25 Boyan: Storpool is a pure software company, but also a storage team as a service
- 19:15 Arjan: Can Storpool customers use on-prem and cloud data storage as one?
- 19:48 Boyan: Not yet, but as the way forward is hybrid for Storpool this will be added
- 20:53 Arjan: What about API’s, is Storpool as a software company API driven?
- 21:03 Boyan: The Storpool product is entirely API driven
- A last question from Arjan is on monitoring and Boyan answers this that Storpool provides its own monitoring as well as giving customers the opportunity to use the API and other tools to hook into their already existing monitoring tools.
TECHunplugged would like to Thank Boyan and Storpool for this very informative podcast and we’re looking forward to hearing a lot more from this great company!