In this 14th episode of the TECHunplugged Podcast we’re recording again live at NetApp Insight 2018 in Las Vegas. Podcast co-host Max Mortillaro (@darkkavenger) talks with former Tech Field Day delegate and now NetApp Chief Technologist Greg Knieriemen (@Knieriemen) about AI, emerging technology and legislation, transparency, ethics matters in a discussion that goes pretty much in all possible directions. Excuse us for the background music / noise, this was recorded at the NetApp insight conference in Las Vegas in a public space because we couldn’t find a quieter place.
- 00:00 Introduction
- 01:06 Greg and Max discuss the impact of AI as a potential next industrial revolution
- 03:30 AI as an opportunity, and making sure we can assess -and prevent- the potential negative consequences
- 05:05 Aren’t some of the last industrial revolution’s negative outcomes a matter of wrong policies?
- 06:10 Should the industry take a leadership role in governance, or should that remain with legislative powers? And what about employees getting vocal about the ethics of the companies they work for? Greg talks about technology being neutral, being a principled person, and the legitimate need for transparency.
- 11:30 Open societies and gag orders
- 13:15 Are legislators able to catch up with the pace of technology?
- 17:50 Plugging back into AI – Isaac Asimov and the Three Laws of Robotics
- 19:00 Science-Fiction or Dystopia? Greg isn’t scared about this 🙂